I live in Seattle, so rain is no stranger to me. Based on trial and error (and ruining too many pairs of shoes), here are 5 essentials for dressing for rain while still looking great:
1. Protect your hair There is nothing worse than spending 20 minutes doing your hair and having it ruined in a matter of seconds after stepping outside. Use an anti-frizz hair product and pull your hair back with a no crease hair tie.
2. Waterproof your makeup Let’s face it, you’re probably going to get at least a little bit wet. Consider changing up your makeup routine to include waterproof mascara and eyeliner. If you need lip color, try a lip stain.
Splurge: tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint, $24
3. Use an Umbrella The majority of Seattleites scoff at people who use umbrellas, but I still use one when it’s raining hard enough. It’s the only way to protect your bag and it’s a fun accessory.
Splurge: Kate Spade Umbrella, $38
4. Invest in two raincoats It’s important to have a raincoat that is light and another that is heavier. I suggest making sure at least one of the coats goes down to the knee or mid-calf to keep more of you dry.
Splurge: JCrew Long Belted Puffer, $298
5. Embrace Rain Boots I’ll be the first to say rain boots aren’t ok to wear to work; however, if you have to walk outside to get to work, you need a pair. Let’s call them commuter boots. You can change into other shoes once you get inside.
With these tips, paired with a sunny attitude, you’re prepared for any rain that’s in your future.