As you prepare to bare more skin this summer, make sure you’re thinking about more than how much you want a tan. Follow these seven skincare tips to keep your skin healthy and youthful.
1. Exfoliate. Gentle exfoliation 1-2 times per week helps remove dead skin and impurities. It also opens your pores to allow for better hydration from toners and moisturizers.
(Kate Somerville Exfolikate, $22)
2. Moisturize. Don’t skimp on moisturizer in the summer. Make sure you apply it every morning and evening directly after cleansing.
3. Hydrate. Drinking 64 ounces of water a day will help keep your body and skin hydrated. It also helps with detoxification.
4. Sunscreen daily. Find a sunscreen with 30 SPF (or higher) and apply it every day. If you’re going to be in the sun all day, make sure you reapply every few hours.
5. Sooth irritation. Once you’re burned, the damage is done, but make sure you take the time to sooth your skin with balms to prevent peeling and reduce inflammation.
(Dermalogica After Sun Repair, $33)
6. Protect your lips. Use a lip balm with SPF to protect your lips from sun damage and irritation.
(Fresh Sugar Lip Tint with SPF, $22.50)
7. Wear sunglasses. The skin around your eyes is very sensitive. Wear sunglasses to protect them.
(Tory Burch 54mm Sunglasses, $149)