Halloween is arguable my favorite holiday of the year. When else is it perfectly acceptable to dress up in an outlandish costume and gorge on sugar? Every year, I feel compelled to go all out with my Halloween costume and lately I’m particularly impressed by pop culture costumes. Here are a few places to draw inspiration from and bound to make you look hyper-relevant if you decide to go the pop cultureroute this Halloween. One small caveat, this is not a definitive list, but rather a jumping off point to get your creativity going!
Movie/TV Character: There were a lot of big movies and hit TV shows this year with major costume potential, whether you’re dressing up solo or looking to go with a group.
- Divergent: Dress according to your district of choice
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: And don’t forget April O’Neil
- Maleficent: Pairs nicely with Sleeping Beauty
- Frozen: Guaranteed to be a popular pick this year, so don’t be surprised if you run into a few Elsas
- Lego Movie: Emmet and Wyldstyle make an excellent couple costume, but going as UniKitty would be equally as cool
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Body paint necessary if you go with Gamora (at least do your face if nothing else)
- Game of Thrones: Classic medieval wear
- The Mindy Project: Mix a few printed pieces and wear under a lab coat
- Orange is the New Black: Standard prison getup
Music Artists: Can’t get the catchiest songs of the year out of your head? Then why not dress up as the singer! Blast their hit on some portable speakers and replicate their music video getups!
- Pharrell: Don that iconic Grammy Hat
- Iggy Azalea: Lots of hits and crazy outfits to choose from
- Ariana Grande: Rock her signature half-up pony
- Meghan Trainor: Go with the retro pastel look from “All About That Bass”
- Katy Perry or Nicki Minaj: For their jungle-themed music video looks
Sports: Go beyond your basic athlete costume by tagging on to these notable sports moments for 2014.
- Sochi Winter Olympics: Dress as an athlete or take inspiration for the Opening/Closing ceremonies
- 2014 FIFA World Cup: Pick your favorite team and wear their jersey
- Derek Jeter: Pay your re2pect to Jeter and his retirement from pro-baseball
Other Notable 2014 Pop Culture Moments:
- ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: No need to dump actually ice on yourself all night. Wear a bucket with fake ice on your head or wear a giant bucket around your torso.
- Scottish Independence: Scotland remains in the UK for now, you can represent Scotland with a plaid kilt, flag and protest sign.
- Kim and Kanye (better known as Kimye): This celeb couple got married this year, but you don’t need to necessarily dress bridal to pull it off, just don’t forget to include North as your must-have accessory
- Shia LeBouf on the Red Carpet: Put on suit or tux and wea a paper bag over your face that reads “I Am Not Famous Anymore”
- Celebrity Tributes: A number of big name celebs passed away this year from Robin Williams to Joan Rivers if you want to dress as your favorite look or character they played
- Oscar’s Selfie: Major props if you can coordinate a big enough group to represent each celebrity and impromptu pose for the selfie throughout the night